One of the global key players in agricultural real estate is looking for a Regional Manager in Romania
Function: Regional Manager Romania
Reporting line: Directly to Country Manager Romania
Location: Western and/or Southern Romania
Overview, description and position scope:
The main functions of this role are to lead Company’s investments in the relevant region of Romania, developing the investment strategy and building a portfolio of high quality farm land. Finding, evaluating and acquiring land that is in line with the group strategy. Post-acquisition and for the existing portfolio, the regional manager will be responsible for renting to a local farmer / corporate farming business and following that the contracts conditions are respected. Managing capital investment and land improvements locally will also be a key feature of the role. Finally the role will also entail portfolio optimization work, through identification of plots to be swapped in and out or acquired to achieve higher levels of consolidation and ultimately disposition of packages of land parcels.
- Coordinate Romania regional investment proposals and acquisitions.
- To facilitate the development of Company’s activities in Romania, building and managing relationships with:
- Government at a regional level, i.e. Agenţia de Plăţi şi Intervenţie pentru Agricultură (APIA); Directiile Agricole Judetene (DAJ) and alike, and;
- Local agricultural supply industry and customers.
- Promote the Company in Romania to achieve a high standard and reputation in the agricultural community.
- To find suitable investment opportunities, research and evaluate land that has investment potential.
- Research and evaluate characteristics of prospective acquisitions, including water quality, quantity, and stability; soils; climate; production history; building improvements, drainage etc. for properties identified as having investment potential.
- Develop property budgets and build financial models projecting property performance.
- Identify and build relationships with prospective property managers or tenants.
- Complete internal property appraisals with particular emphasis on economic and market data approaches to value.
- Assist in writing investment/dispositions proposals for review/approval by senior management.
- Negotiate acquisitions, swaps and sales.
- Assist in the management of capital investment and land improvement projects and prepare related budget proposals for such projects.
- Assist the Country Manager in the acquisition process, including working with attorneys on legal documents, title review, environmental review, due diligence, and closing.
- Monitor the activity of the Land Acquisition Agents (LCA) allocated on various regions, and provide timely information to the Country Manager on the development of projects for acquisitions and disposals of assets new opportunities, tenant identification, etc.
Overview & Description:
- Select, oversee, and evaluate LCAs, contractors and tenants associated with the properties.
- Perform periodical on-site property inspections.
- Ensure compliance with lease terms, stewardship, and EU CAP, environmental and other regulations.
- Prepare property development plans including budgets, financial models, and investment proposals for senior management.
- Prepare annual property capital expenditure budgets.
- Monitor budget vs. actual property performance.
- Identify tenants, negotiate leases, and monitor tenant performance.
- Track property financial performance.
- Maintain a level of expertise on farming costs, production trends, and industry cycles on all the crops grown on land owned
- Complete internal property appraisals, identify and select independent appraisers, and review independent appraisers.
- Monitor real estate assessments and taxes.
- Plan and perform group property tours as needed.
- Identify properties to be targeted for acquisition and sale. Assist in writing property acquisition and divestment proposals.
- Develop a property marketing strategy; marketing the property where divestment is chosen.
- Identify prospective brokers and negotiate listings (if a broker is deemed necessary).
- Negotiate sales transactions.
- Assist in managing the sale process, including working with lawyers on legal documents and closing
- Work with the Country Manager in providing on the job training to junior employees.
Professional Experience & Skills:
- A strong background in agricultural property management and farming, ideally with experience in agricultural property acquisitions and sales (or a related field).
- Experience with managing various regional or geographic land types.
- Strong writing and verbal communication skills in English and Romanian.
- General understanding of finance and accounting methods, theories and formulas.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills are a necessity for this position.
- Good at adhering to tight deadlines and managing time and priorities setting
- The person holding this position will need to be personable and capable of working with a broad cross section of people including farmers, marketers and processors, agricultural advisers, LCAs and bankers.
- Knowledge of using cadastral tools and maps such as GIS – is a plus
- Fluency in English is essential.
- Undergraduate and/or graduate degree in Business, Economics, Agribusiness, Farm Management, Property Valuation, and/or Management would be preferred.
- Agricultural property or real estate experience, licensing and qualifications are important to this position.
On-going training will be offered and provided to the right candidate.